January 11, 2011

Check

Christmas brought a new game to our house - Mario Kart.  We are behind the times, I know, but this game has been on my mind the last week or so.  It has proven to be a great allegory of my life the last year.  I would imagine that most are familiar with this game.  You choose a cartoon character to be, and some sort of racing bike or car.  Then, you choose a way to play - either solo, or on a team. Finally, you decide what course you want to race - and there are lots to choose from.  Some courses take you into open meadows with cows crossing the road, others send you down steep trails with no side rails. Others that I have played, take you into mines with serious drop offs, and still others take you into the clouds where you race on rainbows and can fall into black holes.  It can be stressful and fun all at the same time!

When I first played this game, my girls informed me to push the number 2 button on my controller to make me go.  Basically - you bury the accelerator and go as fast as you can at all times!  I'm sure I am hilarious to watch as I play, and the things that come out of my mouth!!!  OH OH OH OH, AHHHHH, Shoot, NO WAY, etc.  This game has a way of making me feel very out of control sometimes.
Within each race are special "boxes" that, if you hit them, you get special things (if you remember to hit the button on the back of the remote). These special things include; going super fast (yet still having to steer), becoming invincible (yet still having to steer), "weapons" that you can throw in front or behind you, and, my favorite, becoming a bullet in which you needn't control anything (no steering or accelerating) for a short time, and you speed ahead!

Isn't this such an obvious connection to life?  It sure has been for me this past year.  There I am,  in my little racer, on the track and doing my thing.  This is fun. Then, out of nowhere, I get run over by something I didn't even see comin'.  Death.  It spun me around, unside down and backwards. Since January 10, 2010, I have been trying to turn around and find the track again.  Things don't look familiar, and I am getting some motion sickness.  I need to close my eyes for a while!
I have found that I can't keep the accelerator button pushed down all the way, because I am just running off the edge.  I loose a lot of time, and end up going the wrong direction, but somehow keep getting put back on the track.  AHHHHH!  The other racers are zipping past me, though some of them crash as well. Sometimes, even when I want to keep up, I can't.  I don't know the course, so I don't know what to expect.  I hit some things and barley avoid others. I'm getting lapped!

I know that this analogy has a lot be desired, especially if I am approaching life as a Christian.  But here is my take on it.  Life is a race.  Paul talks about finishing the race to receive the prize - but you do have to finish.  When I have the accelerator pushed down and am dropping over the edge I will have a hard time finishing.  This year I have had to take my finger off the button.  I have had to slow down because the curves have been too sharp, and I have fallen - a lot.  However, I am put back on the track.  God wants me to continue my race,  I mentioned how much I like getting the bullet when I play the game.  God is that bullet for me.  He carries me, I don't have to steer or do anything.  The bullet gives me a chance to catch my breath, and to see some of what I being carried through. 
God has truly done that for me this past year.  I have NEVER felt abandoned, or alone.  Christ has brought me into a closer relationship with him, and because I am playing on a team - I haven't run this race alone.  This past year - I have been remembered, prayed for, hugged, and loved.  My team has pulled most of the weight.  But God knew that I would need that - that my family would need help.  My team consists of people I don't even know - but  who are tending to my folks, to Bill, to Donna and her family.  The captain of our team is really looking out for us who are still on the track.
Okay - there is one thing that is different from the game.  If you win, there is a crowd of people cheering for you at the end. The Bible talks about the great crowd of witness cheering us on as we run the race.  They can see us as we press on, and they are cheering us on.  Steve is now part of that great witness.  Cool.

This life isn't a game.  What we do here matters, and will follow us into our lives with (or without) Christ.  God isn't looking at my life as a game.  I have a purpose, and it's not just to drive around a cartoon course and come in first.  In the Mario Kart analogy, Steve finished his laps.  I'm still taking mine.  The race has been much lonelier without him.  I miss his quick smile, and hearing him laugh!  Always the instigator, the one whose advice I valued, and love I treasured. It is a privilege to be known as his sister.
(I feel that way about you too Bill.  :)

One year - check the box.  Now What??
Wish I could say I am doing great.  I am having many more good days than not.  It feels as if I haven't make any head way in my race.  It's still a long way to the finish line - as far as I can see.  Though it's hard to know.  Maybe I won't worry about the accelerator being pushed down all the way all the time.  I think I'll try to stay the course and not crash so much this year.  I do know - that I will always be thankful my team, the great cloud of witnesses, and especially, for the bullet!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I LOVE Mario Kart so I was totally with you on the analogy. It's nice to get updates on how you guys are doing. I love the photo of the chair on your back patio. Before Nancy and I left your house I stood out there and didn't want to leave because that view is so amazing. I'll be trying to get back there with the family. They've never seen the mountains.

Unknown said...

Jim and Nancy, You guys have brought a lot of love and joy to us. We Thank you for your friendship. As we have gone through this journey with you, we look forward to what is to come. We love you guys and are very blessed to have you in our lives.

Romans 12:2

Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.  Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.

January 14, 2008 - moving

January 14, 2008 - moving
On the road to our new home

Gilmore House

Gilmore House
Jim's office is on the far right

CO house

CO house
Mountain range with our home (to be) in foreground

A great view

A great view
A great view from the kitchen!

New Office

New Office
My new office...I love it!

Snow Sculpture

Snow Sculpture
Snow Sculpture - Bronco

Nancy & Bekah

Nancy & Bekah
Bekah's "red" arm

Zeb

Zeb
Zeb